12.14.2012

What Matters Most

Today my heart goes out to the people who live in Connecticut. Just hours ago, reports of a shooting at an elementary school were flooding into all the media outlets. AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. I get sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Children, innocent children, who's only task in their young lives is to go to school faced an unimaginable day of tragedy. The lives of many have been turned upside down and shattered, quite permanently.

Today I spent the afternoon with my "little sister", Paige. I don't really have a little sister but I have babysat Paige since she was just a year old; she is 8 now! I can't believe it, but that's the explanation as to why I call her my little sister. I have watched her grow up and I absolutely love every second. A few weekends back we even went and saw the Nutcracker at the Akron Civic Theatre in Downtown Akron. It was so much fun and I love getting to spoil her, she is the sweetest girl.

All this to say, she's just a child, so pure and innocent. I cannot imagine if anything bad were to happen to her, or any child I know. I would do anything in my power to protect them. I can't even begin to relate to the families of all the children who were lost today or fathom what it must feel like to now see the empty bed or chair where they once slept or ate dinner. The very life of these families had been stolen in the blink of an eye. When will the tragedies stop? The constant violence and tragedy has devastatingly become part of our daily lives is slowly causing our world to fall apart.

The other day I listened to a message by John Bevere. He talked about why bad things happen to good people. It was really good and when I get a chance I'll post the notes I took while listening to it.

I'll end by reminding you to cherish every moment with the ones you love, especially when you come together during the holidays. Don't let past feuds and resentments steal what counts the most. Always, always, always count your blessings.

Food for thought: What if tomorrow you only woke up with the things you thanked God for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment